We have been super busy!!! Graeme saw the cleft palate team in Louisville a few weeks ago. All went well and we met with many different specialists. They have scheduled his palate surgery for October 14 (one day after his third birthday). We also found out that he had fluid in both ears and due to the circumstances, it was probably long standing fluid. We were going to have the surgery for P.E. tubes when we had the palate surgery but since we couldn't schedule the palate surgery for 3 months, we decided we better go ahead with the tube surgery. Graeme had the surgery this last Monday and he did great!
The physician did say that the fluid in his ears was very thick and we can already tell a difference in his hearing. I am so glad that we did not wait. He is currently working with a speech therapist weekly (she is also one of his Godmothers and my business partner and sister of the heart).......so he is in excellent hands regarding language and speech development. He is saying more and imitating to the best of his ability. One of his favorite sayings is "Hoo Ha!" with thumbs up...his cute approximation of Good Job! He uses this quite frequently throughout the day.
We are looking forward to his surgery in October and hoping for a good result. His palate has a narrow opening in the front behind his teeth and widens in the back. Our surgeon is not sure how far back he will be able to build the palate. He did state that due to the way his lip was repaired in China that he will probably end up with a small fistula (hole in the palate behind his teeth) following this surgery. We hope that will heal in time.
Other fun things:
- He wakes with a smile every morning and usually lays down at night with a huge grin.
- He openly hugs and kisses all of us throughout the day
- He LOVES to eat especially raw veggies and fruit.....his eyes light up in the produce part of the grocery store....I just wish we lived close to a Farmer's Market...oh the Joy that would bring!
- He thinks he is as big as Lily and tries everything she does. He even jumped off the diving board (with floaties on and me catching him) on his fourth visit to the pool.
- He loves to play dress-up with Lily and is adorable with his spikey hair and Cinderella high heels (that will be a picture to haunt him in the future).
- Each day, he is testing the limits and learning the rules....behind that grin is a 2 year old struggling for independence.
- Last week, I heard "I uh oo" (I Love You!)
I am so blessed!