Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Surviving Surgery

I have been trying to finish for the last 5 hours. Graeme is currently resting peacefully but there is no telling how long that will last. Our day has been very busy! The big news is that Graeme has had his palatalplasty. I did inform the doctor and nurses about his possible Hand, Foot and Mouth Virus but it was so mild that they did not think it would affect him.
All morning he was his typical funny self. He charmed all of the nurses and had the nurse anesthetist wrapped around his finger. Our nurse anesthetist spent a lot of time with Graeme prior to surgery and she knew first hand what he was going through as she had a repaired cleft lip and palate. She even hung out with us in the play room while we waited for the doctor....

Graeme loved the play room and this helped distract him from the reality of the situation.

I think he thought that since we weren't going to feed him, he would just have to cook his own breakfast!

(I did wake him up at 4 a.m. to eat. He was not happy that I woke him up until he saw the food. He ate oatmeal and yogurt and gradually went back to sleep. At least one of us went back to sleep)

Breakfast is ready and it is hot!

If I close my eyes and really dream maybe it will become real!

Shortly after, Dr. Chariker arrived. They gave him his happy juice. He immediately went with our favorite nurse anesthetist and the rest of the surgical team. Mom and I headed to grab a quick bite. the actual surgery took about 1 1/2 hours. He was away from us for just over 3 hours. When they brought him to us, well he was pitiful!

He really settled down after they handed him to me.

He is wearing "No-Nos" on his arms to keep him from touching his mouth and hurting himself.

How many wires can they fit in one teeny tiny hand?

Watching TV while heavily medicated!

Resting peacefully again!
He has a cycle that he has been going through this evening of waking up, fussing, snuggling, getting some medicine, drinking, eating and going to sleep again. Yes you did read that right, he is eating just as I predicted. Nothing keeps Graeme from eating his precious food. He has eaten 2/3 of a cup of yogurt and some soup this evening. He is eating slowly but eating anyway. I am hoping that he gets some rest tonight.
As I sit here with him, I think about his first surgery in China. Mom and I were chatting and wondering what it was like for him. I assume that a Nanny from the orphanage went with him but I have no way of knowing for sure. I just hate to think of him in the hospital without family.
We are so blessed to be here with him now. Baba and Lily, we love you and miss you and can't wait to see you in a few days. Graeme really loved talking to you on the phone tonight.
Thanks to all for your thoughts, prayers and blessings. They have really seen us through this day. For all who are wondering, I stopped spinning the moment they placed him back in my arms after the surgery. I know that we have a long road to recovery but he was back with me and all was well in the world!
Also, Graeme has allowed me to hold him and snuggle with him more than he has ever done so since coming home from China. It has been a blessing to be here and to share the LOVE we all have for him.


amy said...

SO glad for the update. we will continue to pray

Janelle said...

yes, I'm SO glad that Graeme has the love of his beautiful family this time around. it looks like he came through so well. God bless you all this week as you care for each other.


FHL said...

Margaret, I am SO SO glad that all went well! Sending a hug and prayers for continued healing!

Waitingfaithfully said...

Thank you so much for the update Margaret! Graeme looks great, and he's eating and drinking too, wooohooo! That's a huge step, and he didn't waste any time did he? So glad he is being snuggley. I hope you all got some rest last night.

Praying that Graeme continues to heal quickly. Loved all of the playroom pictures. You sweet Graeme even makes hospital gowns look cute!

Praying in Texas~


Cora said...

So happy to hear surgery went well. Graeme sure pulls off the gown look like a champ. Take care.

Kristin said...

So glad to read this update and know Graeme (and mommy!) are doing well. Enjoy those hugs and snuggles from your sweet boy. :-)

Qiuqiu's parents said...

I recognize that drugged look! Hope he is feeling much better!

QQ also started eating immediately after coming out of surgery. No problem! It hasn't been fun for her, but tonight she was almost her old self again - a bundle of energy, giggles and attempted smiles (which make me wince). What a trooper!

zsjmom said...

I've been praying, and had to laugh about him eating so soon after surgery. Now, that's the Graeme I know and love. You are on my thoughts.